As A Man Thinketh
Assessment by Haastrup Adetunwase (Nigeria)
1. What is the main idea that the author is trying to convey in the book?
The main idea that the author is trying to convey in the book is based on the positive effect and negative effect of thought. He makes us realized that it is a man that masters is mind. What ever a man put in his mind will manifest. He said man is like a garden that needs to be cultivated, a well cultivated it will bring good fruit and if it is not cultivate it will bring s bad fruit. He is telling us that we should set of our mind on good things.
If we plant good seed on our mind, it will produce good fruit and vice versa. He complains on how man thinks in his heart so is he.
He explains things on thought and character he says, thought in the mind made us what we are.
It is our thought that brings out our character. What ever we set our mind on will determine the kind of performance we are.
He explains things on effect of thought on circumstances.
He said men are anxious to improve their circumstance, but are unwilling to improve themselves. They therefore remain bond. He explains that men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are. He stated that every man is where he is by the law of his being, he stated that man is buffeted by circumstances to long as he believes himself to be the creature of out side condition, but when he realizes that he is a creative power, and that he may command the hidden soil and seeds of his being our of which circumstances grow, he then becomes the rightful master of himself. He says the circumstances which a man encounters with suffering are the result. He says every thought seed sown or allowed to fall in to the mind and rooted their produce its own, blossoming sooner or later into act and bearing its fruitage of opportunity and circumstances.
He says”good thoughts and actions can never produce bad result; bad thoughts and actions can never produce good result”.
He says “the circumstances which a man encounters with suffering are the result of his own mental in harmony. He added a man only begins to be a man when he ceases to whine and revile, and commences to search for the hidden justice which regulates his life.
He stated on the effect of thought on health and the body, he made us realized that body is the servant of the mind. Mind dictates to the body. He says diseases and health noted in thought. He says strong, pure and happy thought build up the body in vigor and grace. He stated that out of a clean heart come a clean life and a clean body. And out of defiled mind proceeds a defiled life and corrupt body. He says change of diet will not help a man who will not change his thought. So clean thought makes clean habits. It will protect our body we need to guard our mind. He stated things on thought and purpose of thought, he declared that until thought is linked with purpose there is not intelligent accomplishment he said those who have no central purpose in their life fail an easy prey to pretty worried, fears, troubles and self-pitying all of which are indications of weakness. He says man should conceive of a legitimate purpose in his heart and set out to accomplish it.
He comments on the through factor achievement. He states all that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result his own thoughts. He said a man can only rise, conquer and achieve by lifting up his thoughts. Continues by saying before a man can achieve anything, even in worldly things he must life his thought above slavish animal indulgence. He said “intellectual achieve plants are the result of though consecrated to the search of knowledge. Also spiritual achievements are the consummation of holy aspirations. He added a man may rise to high success in the world and even to lofty attitudes in the spiritual realm and gain descend into weakness and wretchedness by allowing arrogant, selfish and corrupt thoughts to take possession of him.
He explains things on vision and ideals. He states that dreamers are the savior of the world. He states as the visible world is sustained by the invisible, so men, through all that trials and sins and sordid vocations are nourished by the beautiful vision on that of their solitary dreamers. He states composer, sculptor, painter, poet, prophet, sage; these are the makers after world, the activities of heaven. He said he who cherishes a beautiful vision, a lofty ideal in his heart and will one day realize it. He said we should cherish our visions, ideal and music that stirs in our heart.
The beauty that forms in our mind. He said to desire is to obtain, to aspire is to achieve. He added the great achievement was at first and for a time a dream. He said the thoughtless, the ignorant and the indolent, seeing only the apparent affects of things and not the things themselves, talk of luck, of fortune and chance. He explains that the glory we glorify in our mind the ideal that we enthrone in our heart, this we will build our life by, we will become.
Lastly said things on serenity according to him he said serenity is calmness of mind is none of the beautiful jewels of wisdom. It is the result of long and patient effort in self control. He said a man becomes calm in the assure that he understands himself as a thought evolved being he explains that the calm man having learned how to govern himself, knows how to adapt himself to other. He said the strong calm man is always loved and revered.
The seven ideas which personally most important to me are as followed:
1. Thought and character
2. Effect of thought on health and the body
3. Thought and purpose
4. Vision and ideals
6. The thought factor in achievement
7. Effect of thought on circumstances.
THOUGHT AND CHARACTER: by this thought in the mind has made us what we are. It is our thought that brings out our character. Whatever we set on our mind we determine the kind of person we are.
THE EFFECT OF THOUGHT ON CIRUMSTANCES: men have anxious to improve their circumstance, but are unwilling to improve themselves, they remain bound. Men do no attract that which they want but that which they are. Every man is where he is by law of his being.
THOUGHT AND PURPOSE: until thought is linked with purpose there is no intelligent accomplishment. Those who have no center purpose in their life fail to worries, fears, troubles; self pitting all that indicate weakness. Man should have purpose in his heart, set our to accomplish it.
VISION AND IDEALS: the dreamers are the savior of the world. He who cherished a beautiful vision, a lofty idea in his heart will one day realize it. We should cherish our vision ideas and music that stirs in our mind or heart.
SEVENITY; it is calmness of mind. It is one of beautiful jewels of wisdom. It is the result of long and patient effort and self control. A strong calm man is always loved and reversed.
EFFECT OF THOUGHT AND BODY ON HEALTH AND BODY: body is the servant of mind. Mind dictates to the body. Debases and health rooted in thought. Strong, pure and happy thought build up the body in vigour and grace. Out of a clean heart come a clean life and a clean body. And out of defiled mind proceeds defiled life and corrupt body.
Thought and character: this is important to me because it determines what I will be in future. It determines the kinds of people relate or associate with. It tells the kind I am and what my incoming generation will be. According to the biologist they say “ man gives life to a child while woman gives body during the fertilization of a baby” which means if h had thought and character will also reflect in my children in my children thought and character and vice versa .
The effect of thought on circumstances. This is important to me because I will be able to set my mind on the things that can improve me when circumstances come way. Because every man is where is by law of his being.
Thought and purpose: this is also important to because through this, I will know where I am going in life and what I am going to achieve in life.
Vision and idea: this is important because without vision and idea I am no where to be found. This means need to cherish my vision and ideals in order to achieve it.
Serenity: this is important to me because through this I will be able to exercise self control in everything I do. Serenity is the calmness of mind.
Effect on thought on health and body: it is important to me because through this I understand thought can heal and can make somebody sick. It makes me understand that it is the mind that controls the body. Mind dictates the state of health and the body.
3. How will these ideas or lesson help you in a practical way, both in your daily personal life and in helping you to create a better world? If so, how?
These ideas will help me these ways:
* It will help me to have a good thought in my daily living and not bad thought.
* It will help me to know my vision and ideas and to realize them
* It will help me to have good moral and good character in my day to day activities
* It will help me to train my mind and to associate with people of positive thinking and not negative thinking
* It will help me to be teachable and learnable
* It help me to have great vision and ideals
* It will help me to become a good leader and good example or my generation and incoming generation.
These will be achieved by putting these ideals in practice in my day to day activities and living.
4. Quotes; Are there brief quotes from the book which really got your attention? If so, please list and comment on them.
* “Mind is the master power that molds and makes”
* Act is the blossom of thought, and joy and suffering are its fruit.
* “As a being of power, intelligence, and love, and the lord of his own thoughts, man holds the key to every situation”
* Thought and character are one us character can only manifest and discover itself through environment and circumstances.
* “Every man is where he is by the law of his being”
* “Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself”
* Men do not attract which they want, but that which they are.
* Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves;
* “Good thoughts and actions can never produce bad results ; bad thought and action can never produce good results”
* Diseases and health, like circumstances are rooted in thought”
* “Clean thoughts make clean habit”
* “There is no physician like cheerful thought for dissipating the ills of the body”
* “Change of diet will not help man who will not change his thoughts”
* “Until thought is linked with purpose there is no intelligent accomplishment”
* “A strong man cannot help a weaker unless that weaker is willing to be helped”
* “The dreamers are the savior of the world”
* “He who cherishes a beautiful vision, a lofty ideal in his heart, will one day realize it” obtain;
* to desire is to aspire is to achieve”
* The strong calm man is always loved and revered”
5. Is there anything in the book that you do not understand or are unclear about, or are there ideas which you disagree with and if so, why?
NO, there is nothing in the book I did not understand. But there are ideals I disagreed with
“The dreamers are the savior of the world” by that the author is talking in a physical way. Our lord Jesus Christ is the savior of the world” so, the dreamers are prophet that God sends to the world
Every man is where he is by the law of his being’ the thought which he has build into his character have brought him there” this is not true; every thought comes from God the maker of the while universe” whether bad or good. It comes from card” which means man can think through the grave given to him by his maker (God).
There are some spiritual forces that beyond human reason that can make man descend or think low, and until this covenant is broken man would begin to think in low manner|
“and man is mind” this is not true” man is spirit” in the book of Genesis 1 vs. 26. God created man and pure his spirit into man and man became living soul. If spirit goes not of man, man becomes dead, so without spirit there in no man.
No, it did not.
7. Was there anything you read in the book that you would like to comment on that was not covered in the previous question? If so, please comment.
* the book was interesting.
* It is teachable
* If reminds and correct my bad habit
* the content is east to read
* It is clear and touched my life
* the author simple language that everybody can understand.
* I even quote from what the author wrote for my personal use.
* I would recommend it to call of friends and my family.
* I can call the book “the positive and negative effect of thoughts”
Please rate the following questions on a scale from 1to 10. Ten is good and one is poor.
A. How interesting was it to read?
B. How helpful were the contents ?
C. How easy was it to understand ?
D. Would you recommend it to others ?
E. What is the overall rating you would give it ?
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Assessment by Haastrup Adetunwase (Nigeria)
1. What is the main idea that the author is trying to convey in the book?
The author is talking about a bird called Jonathan seagull which derives pleasure from flying. He wanted to fly as other bird fly, but the more he struggle to fly over the more it’s effort was frustrated until it got to a point he sank into the water where he heard a voice that says “there’s no way around it, I am seagull, I am limited by my nature. If I were meant to learn so about flying, I’d have charts for brains. If I were meant to fly at speed, I’d have falcon’s short wings and live on mice instead of fish.
According to my own interpretation in this book Jonathan is used as a symbol for most of people who used to copy or imitate Jonathan seagull it is a small bird with small nature, but trying to do as other birds do. At the end, it meant frustration. This book is telling us that we should always be our self.
After accepting defeat in the first race he joined it self with other flock. It believes it can be successful in this area. It stated another race through this it was able to achieve it desire and goal. This explains that we fail in one area does not determine that we can not be successful in another area.
Jonathan seagull is a bird that does not limit it self. It got to heaven and saw other birds. It discovers another new life their, it was able to learn other skill in fly through other birds it met. It came back to earth became a leader; it stated training other birds how to fly.
Through this story it explains to us that learners today can become boss tomorrow. Jonathan seagull that used to train itself before became leader for other birds. It is a bird of strong determination. It determined that it can fly to heaven and it did so. It has a great vision and made effort toward its vision and achieve it achieve it.
This is telling us that if God gave us one vision we should work for it in order to achieve it. According to James Allen in his book titled “as a man thinketh” he says “to inspire is to obtain and to aspire is to achieve”
2. What were the seven ideas which were personally must important to you and why? List seven ideas followed by an explanation after each one as to why it was important to you. Use personally example from own life.
i. It has interest in learning when other birds will not ready to learn: they believe in eating on the ground but he has interest in learning. Many people nowadays are remained stagnant because they don’t have interest in learning. “For most gulls it is not flying that matters, but eating” “for this gull, though it love to fly”. This is telling us that will should be the best in every thing we do.
ii. Despite that he face in first attempt in flying, he didn’t give in. many of us when trial and temptation comes our way we always give in our self to temptation and trial. Don’t give up when you fail keep on trying. Jonathan seagull despite his failure he does not give up he kept on trying.
iii. Jonathan seagull has strong determination for his vision and passion. If not because of his strong determination and passion he will not join other flocks for second attempt, this is telling us we should always be strongly determined and have passion for what ever we want to do in life.
iv. Jonathan seagull was able to achieve his goal through his thinking which is high. Many people has have no where to be find through their thinking most of them, have low thinking, they descend low and this makes them to remained where they are.” but way off alone, out by it self beyond boat and shore, Jonathan Livington Seagull was practicing”. This has to do with his imagination and his thinking. Through these he was able to distinguish him self from other birds.
“This kind of thinking he found”. His thinking makes him to distinguish from other bird. So you also can raise you thought if you want to become a great leader.
v. When Jonathan seagull got to heaven he did not stop himself in learning: “why with half effort, he thought, I will get twice the speed, twice the performance of my best day on earth”. Here we can discover that he didn’t stop himself from learning another new speed of flying.
vi. He disallowed spirit of fear or inferiority he associated himself with other birds in heaven. He releases himself for new skill and innovation of flying. This is telling us that we should be learnable and relate with others.
vii. a learner today can be come a leader tomorrow: Jonathan seagull that was learning how to fly became the leader and train other birds how to fly
3. How will these ideas or lesson help you in practical way both in your daily personal life and in helping you to create a better world? If so how?
First idea is talking about learning which is telling us that we should learnable, we should not put our self into Mr. know all.
The second idea is talking about failure which Jonathan Seagull meets on his way. This is telling me that give in to failure when it comes I should keep on having passion for success. So that I can be a champion to the world.
The third idea is taking of passion and strong determination of Jonathan seagull. For any thing will develop interest to make us a distinguish figure among others you must have passion and strong determination for it.
The fourth idea is talking about the state of thinking of our thinking. This is telling us we think high rather than thinking low. Jonathan seagull is able to achieve his dream based on his thinking.
Fifth idea is talking about the spirit of association and relation when he got to heaven he didn’t stop himself from learning. He kept on learning. He learnt new skill in flying. This helps me in practical way. When I have about the leadership institute I decided to join this school, this shows that I have spirit of association or relationship.
The sixth idea is telling me to bold in everything I do. Inferiority complex destroy ones vision or destiny Jonathan seagull didn’t fell inferior among other birds, he believes in himself that he can do what other birds can not do.
A seventh idea is telling us that for fact that I am a learner today I will become a great leader in future.
4. Quotes: are there any statements which the author made that particularly got your attention? If so please quote them and comment as why they were important to you.
* “For must gulls, it is not flying that matter but eating”
* “for this gull, though it was not eating that matters but flight”
* “there’s so much to learn”
* “there no more challenge no more failure”
* “proud that is fear was under control”
* “I want only share what I’ve found, to show those horizons out ahead for us all”
* “life is the unknown and unknowable, except that we are put into this world to eat to stay alive as long as we possibly can”
* “one school is finished and the time has come for another to begin”
* “in heaven he thought there should be no limit”
* “heaven is not a place and it is not a time heaven is been perfect”
5. Is there any thing in the book that we do not understand or are unclear about, or are there ideas which you disagree with and if so why?
6. Did the book contain exercises for the reader to complete? If so , did you complete all of the exercises and did you find them helpful ?
7. Was there anything you read in the book that you will like to comment on that was not covered in the previous question? If so please comment.